Capturing the Essence of What You Find Special about stepping outside and into Nature…
Treat yourself in the beauty of MKC’s surrounding. These two days bring inspiration through the stimulation of the group, the wine, the laughs and stories. You will leave uplifted and empowered.
Surrounded by the beauty of Fall at MKC is the ideal setting for a spectacular getaway of creative bliss. I would like to spend the time guiding people to develop a strategy for identifying what inspires them about their environment, learning how to translate that perception onto a two dimensional surface and doing it in a manner that feels like your own.
This years program outline:
1. An introduction to the layout and objectives of the two day workshop
2. Watching a short art film intended to sensitize participants to the process of creativity
3. An exercise that will provide an overview of design elements and an introduction to the technical dimensions of acrylic painting
4. A quick discovery exercise that will involve some drawing and investigate “repetition” as a design principle
5. A look at the scope of design principles which make or break a work of art
6. An investigative exercise which will take into account the continuum of abstraction and assist participants in selecting a subject and simplifying the image/concept
7. Devise a sketched plan for 3 images (triptych) incorporating a cohesive subject matter and 2 design principles (repetition + one other)
8. Critique of ideas, intentions and sketches
9. Discuss the nature of mediums, grounds and supports as it relates to the materials we will be using and introduce the possibility of subtraction to reveal the plywood using a router/dremel
10. Create 3 acrylic painting on 12’ x 12” plywood based on the plans
11. There is always LOTS of support and ongoing critique to help each participant throughout the process!
No experience in any of these fields is required –
MKC’s resident artist Marion Fischer
October 1-2, 2016
October 8-10, 2016 (Thanksgiving Retreat)
$300 + HST (includes lunch both days)
$65/night for B&B staying at MKC !
Sept. 10/11, 2016 - Joyce Burkholder: Acrylics
Oct. 1/2, 2016 - Marion Fischer Big, Bold & Beautiful: Acrylics
Oct. 3 - Kashubian Art
“I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free —” Michelangelo “Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. —” Scott Adams “The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.—” Aristotle “Art is the only way to run away without leaving home. — ” Twyla Tharp “Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. — ” Pablo Picasso “I don't paint things. I only paint the difference between things. — ” Henri Matisse “In nature, light creates the colour. In the picture, colour creates the light. —” Hans Hofmann “The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep. —” Paul Strand “It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see. —” Henry David Thoreau